||HISTORY OF GUTHRIE COUNTY HOSPITAL
The following information is taken from Ten Year History of Guthrie County Hospital by E. S. Hudson, Origin of Guthrie County Hospital by Earl W. Vincent, Fifty Years of History of Guthrie County Hospital by the 2001 History Committee, and from various departments within the hospital.
The planning, financing, and
construction of Guthrie County Hospital took over ten years, but a
foundation was laid by those who believed a hospital was needed in
Guthrie County. The first Board of Trustees, appointed by the County
Board of Supervisors, met first in 1944 to find a suitable site and an
architectural firm to draw building plans, all beginning during World
War II. In 1949 bids were let for the construction. The land on North
12th Street was eventually donated by Helen Sayles Brundage in memory of
her parents who had owned the property during their lifetime.
Dedication day finally occurred October 7, 1951.
Due in part to government regulations, patients
were eventually being sent to other facilities and the number of
patients began to decline. Since that time, many specialties utilized by
larger hospitals have been added as has the required education for the
staff. Now, within the hospital, is a Laboratory, Pharmacy, Radiology
Department, Respiratory Therapy, Physical Therapy, Cardiac
Rehabilitation, Emergency Department and state-of-the-art Surgery
Department as well as a Specialty Clinic and Orthopedic Clinic supported
by an experienced and knowledgeable Medical Staff. GCH Family Medicine
Clinics are now in Panora and Adair. Supporting departments have all
enlarged over the years to keep up with the growth.
Donations have continually played a major role in
obtaining equipment, providing services to the community and upgrading
the hospital. A Hospital Auxiliary, supplying volunteers to assist in
various areas began in 1982.
Since 1995, the Guthrie County Health Care Foundation has
served as a support organization to promote the hospital for the
purpose of soliciting and receiving charitable gifts to fund equipment,
technology and services for the area hospital patients.
The first three superintendents started
a legacy of progress that has only accelerated as the years have
passed. Structural changes are too many to list, and the hospital has
been growing at it's fastest pace since Gerald Neal became CEO in 2003,
supported by an aggressive and forward thinking Board of Trustees.